Please note: Our customer service centers are not taking credit cards payments at this time.
To make a payment, you can access Manage My Account or these other Payment Options.

Winter Safety

Practice safety when temperatures drop

When winter temperatures drop, keep these tips in mind to keep you and your family safe.

  • Install working smoke alarms in every bedroom, outside each sleeping area, and on every level
  • Install carbon monoxide alarms in a central location outside sleeping areas
  • Test smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors monthly
  • Replace batteries in smoke alarms yearly on a routine schedule whether needed or not
  • Never use the kitchen stove/oven as a space heater
  • Have your central heating system inspected annually by a licensed professional
  • Keep a dry chemical fire extinguisher in the kitchen
  • Check your natural gas appliances - a yellow or orange flame may indicate a problem and should be checked by a qualified technician
  • Keep flammable liquids and spray cans at least three feet from heating equipment
  • Turn off portable space heaters every time you leave the room and before you go to bed
  • Never place anything on top of a space heater
  • Purchase heaters with a tip switch, which turns the heater off if it is knocked over
  • When using a gas space heater, leave a window open a couple of inches for proper ventilation

What to do if your power is out:

  • Keep a flashlight and a battery-powered radio nearby
  • Report outages to (210) 353-4357 (HELP) or call toll-free at 1-800 870-1006 in rural areas; if you have a smart meter, there's no need to call because the meter will alert us about the outage
  • View our Power Outage page for more information related to outages in your area

What to do if you have a natural gas leak:

  • If you or your family smell something similar to rotten eggs, you could have a natural gas leak
  • Do not use any electrical or battery-powered item, do not switch lights on or off, do not light a match, or use a cell phone - any of these items could send a spark igniting the gas
  • Leave your home immediately
  • Call 911 and CPS Energy at (210) 353-4357 (HELP)